The 2013 OCCSC Fundraising Gala was a resounding success! The gala, which was held at the Oriental Chu Shing Restaurant, the evening of December 2nd, was completely sold out! Over 300 community members, corporate leaders, politicians, Board members, staff and volunteers came together for a wonderful evening of food, socializing, entertainment, merriment and of course, fundraising for the good work of the OCCSC. It was also an occasion to celebrate our many achievements throughout the year. We really appreciate the support from our sponsors, donors, corporate leaders, politicians, Board members, staff, volunteers and guests. Together, we raised $26,796.19
This year we were quite fortunate to have Lucy van Oldenbarneveld, CBC News Ottawa (TV) Anchor and Host of “Our Ottawa” MC the Gala along with the able assistance of staff member Shaw Quan – who did a great job co-hosting. The supper hour CBC-TV news program also broadcast live from the gala – with Lucy reporting and the Gala celebrations going on in the background. During the news hour, interviews with Sharon Kan, Executive Director and Ying Xie, Senior Manager of our employment program (now re-branded as In-TAC) were also shown, explaining the important work that we do and therefore why the agency should be supported.
We are so proud of what we accomplish every year despite funding cuts. Here is a brief summary of how the OCCSC helps newcomers successfully integrate into our Ottawa community during the past year:
- 1,412 newcomers were provided with our services.
- 1,127 group activities at various Ottawa Public Libraries and Resource Centre locations
- 2,626 children were cared for through our child-minding services.
- 1,943 seniors benefited from the Engaging Immigrant Seniors Project.
- 783 new clients received assistance from In-TAC – our Employment Services Division.
- 252 gained employment and/or job placements.
- 141 hiring partners and over 300 small and medium sized businesses supported In-TAC initiatives.
- 894 clients received language support through our 16 Language Training classes.
- 222 volunteers contributed 6480 hours of much appreciated assistance to the community.
The programs supported by the funds raised through the Gala and other OCCSC events are directed towards helping new immigrants integrate economically and socially into Canadian society — to offer new members in our community hope, optimism … and a sense of opportunity. With recent government funding cut-backs, your support is now even more important than ever!
The theme of this year’s Gala was “Together We’re Stronger” and this was proven time and again throughout the evening as a broad cross-section of the Chinese and wider Ottawa community came together to support our work. From the support of the local media, especially the CBC, to the politicians who praised our work and contributions to the city of Ottawa and Canada, such as the Honourable Alice Wong, Minister of State for Seniors; Paul Dewar, MP for Ottawa-Centre; Diane Holmes, Ottawa City Councillor for Somerset Ward; and the many corporate and individual sponsors who purchased tables and provided silent auction items. For a full listing of these supporters please visit our website (www.occsc.org) under “What’s New”.
Of course the Board, staff and volunteers aptly demonstrate their strength in numbers throughout the year but at the Gala it was the many talented staff members (and a couple of clients) who provided the wonderful entertainment throughout the evening. Sandy Mah, whose parents received assistance from the OCCSC over 30 years ago when they first came to Ottawa, and is training to be a firefighter, gave a powerful rendition of “My Way” and Cathy Song, a former client who has been hired by the CIBC, sang a touching version of “Telling You Tenderly”. Of course to put together such a large event requires a real team ef-fort – and many staff members and volunteers helped to make this a successful event.
The fundraiser also featured lucky draws and a silent auction table featuring many wonderful donated items from beautiful paintings to hockey tickets. There was also a table for local Chinese authors – Denise Chong (Lives of the Family) and Frank Ling (Pray Standing) to provide signed copies of their books with the proceeds going to support the work of the agency.
We acknowledge the generous contributions of the sponsors and donors who made this evening possible, including:
- Elite Automobiles, Inc. (Elite BMW, MINI Ottawa)
Silver Sponsors (listed in alphabetical order)
- Bank of Montreal Capital Center Branch
- Capital Memorial Gardens-Gable Fung
- Happy Life Wealth Management Inc,
- Onion Auto Service
- Royal Bank of Canada – James Nguyen, Commercial Banking Relationship Manager, Eastern Ontario
- Star Motors of Ottawa (Mercedes-Benz) .
VIP Table & Corporate Tables
- Bestgiga Inc. (comefromchina.com)
- Catholic Centre for Immigrants
- Chinese Canadian National Council
- CLASP Corporation
- Connie Tang- Sunlife Financial
- EH LAWCO INC.,
- Hulse, Playfair & McGarry,
- LASI World Skills Ottawa
- Pharm Can Drug Mart
- Royal Bank of Canada
We also thank to the following organizations or individual for the Gift or Cash Donation (over $500 value), including
- Embassy of The People’s Republic of China
- Frank Ling (C. M. MCU (Harvard)
- Jianzhong Liang
- Julia Chen
- Kee Hoi Ho
- King-Wan Wu
- Min Cai
- Taipei Economic and Culture Office in Canada.
Finally, we want to thank Scotiabank (Somerset & Bronson Branch) for their “INVOLVED IN THE COMMUNITY WITH PRIDE” program. We look forward to having another successful year in 2014 with your continued support.
How can you Donate to the OCCSC throughout the year?
OCCSC Website Go to the OCCSC website (www.occsc.org) and follow the instructions of
the “Donations” page.
In person or by mail:
Cash, cheque or credit card. Donations exceeding $20 will be issued a tax receipt.
Cheques payable to: “Ottawa Chinese Community Service Centre”.
Ottawa Chinese Community Service Centre
#4004 – 381 Kent Street
Ottawa, Ontario, K2P 2A8
For credit card payment, please contact Fiona Zhu at
613-235-4875 ext 123
3,520 total views, 1 views today